See the October picks our Stylist, Alexandra, is most excited about!
Click to view the video transcript
Welcome, everybody! This is the first of many Stitch Fix style series. Today, we are going to be talking through the 10 fall essentials that you need in your closet to get you ready for everything from holidays, travel plans, and the drop in temperatures.
You always need a vest when you head into fall, and the reason why is that it can keep your core warm while also creating the perfect piece for layering. Throw it on over [00:00:30] a knit, a button-down, or even your favorite cozy sweater. Speaking of which, cozy sweaters are a fall essential for a couple reasons. They’re cozy, they’re warm, and they can go with anything. If you want an update, though, think about something like a lace detail. This adds a little bit of edge, it’s perfect with skinny jeans, or even to throw on with chic trousers or a midi skirt to work.
The third thing that you need in your closet is colored denim. I know that you guys have seen colored denim a few [00:01:00] seasons now, but it’s the perfect way to get out of the rut of wearing your basic dark-wash jeans, and adding a little bit of color to your wardrobe. Not only are they seasonally relevant, but they’re really perky, too. Number four is one of my personal favorites, the sweater-dress. When the weather gets really chilly, you can pair this with tights and an essential like this lightweight trench.
Number five are leggings. Leggings are something that we’ve been talking about for a while [00:01:30] now, considering the athleisure trend is so huge. But we love them in a really beautiful fall color like this burgundy, or something really fun for the gym with this laser cut detail here. Plaid is a seasonal must. Not only is it synonymous with the season, but you can do anything with this guy. You can pair this under the vest that we just spoke to, you can pair it with your colored denim, you can throw it on with leggings on the weekend, when you really just don’t know what to wear and you have to get out the door in a jiffy, and it’s just so [00:02:00] versatile.
Number seven, the cargo jacket. This is something that you will see on every single person in our Stitch Fix office, and there’s a reason why. Not only does it keep you really warm, it’s a great piece for layering over all of the heavy textures that we spoke through here, and it looks great with anything; jeans, a dress, knee-high boots, ankle booties, you name it. This is one of our staple pieces at Stitch Fix.
And, I saved the best for last; accessories. Coming [00:02:30] in at number eight, your ankle boots. We’re going to talk a lot about ankle boots in the future, and there’s a reason why for that, too. You have them in so many variations, from a stacked heel to a more western inspired bootie, to even the flat, super-comfy Chelsea boot. You can wear them with ankle jeans, skinny jeans, something cropped like what I’m wearing right now. The style variations are endless. Number nine is a cross-body bag. I love a cross-body bag for so many reasons. [00:03:00] It gets out of my way, and it keeps everything that I need in one little, tiny compact space. This looks really great with all the essentials that we just named here, and not only that, but try it in an embroidered texture like this for an update to a classic.
And finally, last but not least, we cannot forget our scarves. Textured scarves are something that we not only value for their warmth and softness, but also for their versatility. You can pair this with something super simple like a [00:03:30] T-shirt and a simple knit, or you can take it with you to work. Pair it with a button-down and a pencil skirt, you name it. It’ll keep you warm no matter what.
And that’s all ten. If you guys want to know more about 10 fall essentials, just head to Stitch Fix Style and get in touch with more information. Thank you.
- Statement earrings: Dainty jewelry is perfect for everyday wear, but if you’re going for the wow factor, opt for shoulder-duster earrings in jewel toned colors like burgundy or cobalt blue. On the hunt for something a little more versatile? Try big gold hoops (they go with everything!).
- Fall florals: They’re a fun alternative to everyday stripes while infusing a poppy punch of color to dark fall outfits.
- Modern handbags: A structured purse can elevate any outfit. Details like shiny hardware and geometric shapes stand out from the rest, even when they’re in a neutral.
- Sweaterdress: A one-piece knit will be your new seasonal staple. Pair it with fashion sneakers while we transition into the cooler months or slip into a pair of tights to keep cozy.
- Comfy sweaters: Whether you’re lounging around the house or out on a coffee run, throw on a cozy sweater with leggings or jeans.
- Embroidery: Whether the stitched detailing is on jeans or a classic button-up shirt, the festive threads add a subtle pop of color to any outfit.
- Updated denim: Punch up your fall sweaters and booties looks with a pair of not-so-basic jeans. Test the waters with embroidery, an exposed button-fly or front-seam detailing.
- Velvet: The thick, luxurious fabric will help keep you warm, as well as take you in the holiday season. If you’re on the fence about this throwback trend try it as an accessory first—like a cross body bag or a pair of shoes.
- Animal print shoes: Turn any minimal outfit up a notch—go with polished flats or pumps to take you from work to happy hour.
What October trends are you most excited about? Tell us in the comments below!